Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Back to School

We know… it must be nice to get the summer off.  We know… we started school two weeks later than in Ontario.  But you know… we’re still pretty drained from the first week back at school.  Here we are on the very first day, still bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. 

The first week of school in Egypt was fairly successful and uneventful, but we’ll share some stories anyway.  We had been warned by teachers returning to the school that the students would be very challenging.    The first day of school started with an assembly for all high school students.  When each teacher was introduced, the students all clapped.  With that, we were officially Mrs. Katie and Mr. Tom.

We were shocked at how loud the students  were while the principal was addressing them.  That being said, when we went to class, we both found our first morning class to be very quiet and respectful.  Tom’s class asked if they could call him “Mr. T.”  We’re not sure if they know who “Mr. T.”  is, but some of the students do call him that.

My first morning class was, and continues to be, a class sent from heaven.  If every class was like my first period class here, everyone would be a teacher.  Here are a couple of my students doing their first lab of the year.  They were pretty excited to get to work (a.k.a. play) with fire the first week.  Ok, so was I!
(In case you're curious, I did ask these students permission to take their picture and put it on my blog.)

Tom and I are each teaching three classes, some of which are more challenging than others.  That’s not different from any school or any group of teenagers in the world though.  On the other hand, our students can be pretty unique.  We teach at private school.  Our students (or at least their parents) are paying tuition.  During a physics lesson Tom asked his students one day whether any of their parents knew how to weld.  He got the response “Mr. Tom, none of our parents would know how to weld.  Maybe our driver would know how.”

There are also little things around the school that remind us that wearen’t in Canada anymore.
One is our office door:


Another is the sign on the fume hood in my classroom.  If you’re not sure what I mean, get your brain back into teenage mode for a moment.

All in all we’ve had a successful first week of school.  We certainly need to get back into the swing of things and spend less time prepping and more time living… and sleeping.  I’m sure we’ll get there soon.  If we get too tired, we will soon have time to unwind.  We have the Egyptian Armed Forces Day and Canadian Thanksgiving weekend coming up soon to give us a four day weekend very soon.  We know… we can’t complain!

5 comments:

  1. love your blogs! Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr.Tom and Mrs.Katie, I like it.I especially like "Mr.T"...seems fitting! Adam will get a kick out of it:) Glad to hear work seems pretty normal for the most part, guess that means you'll be sticking it out a little while longer?!Can't wait for more stories!! Happy early birthday Katie! Glenda & Adam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be careful about doing it in the fume hood - it's how I got pregnant both times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just laughed really hard at Carrie's comment. Nice! Tom, I didn't know you had it in you to be Mr. T, so funny! I hope they know who Mr T is because that would make it oh so much better! I'm really glad you guys are all settled in your jobs, also I'm super jealous. I had a job interview today and there was a picture of the store manager in front of a pyramid. So it made for good ice breaker conversation, thanks for that ;)

    I miss you guys, love you both!! Hope you had an amazing birthday yesterday Katiaaaa! Wish I could have been there to get some of our famous multicoloured martinis! Can't wait to skype you guys. Keep the good posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi you guys,
    Does not look like snow is a problem around you now...bet you miss that allot!!! Not!!!
    Love your haircut...so you do have a forehead...hi hi hi!
    Glad to see you're enjoying the moment!
    Take care.
    Joanne et Germain

    ReplyDelete