Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Sweet Movember!!!


What do you think about that beautiful upper lip?!?!  First of all, if you are unfamiliar with the month of Movember you should really read the following webpage: http://ca.movember.com/about/.  I was approached to participate in Movember by a colleague who was trying to enlist every male teacher on our staff to grow a moustache over the month of November to raise money for prostate cancer research.  My first reaction was, “I can’t even grow facial hair!”  However, I believe in the importance of fundraising, finding cures for cancers, and brotherly fellowship so I begrudgingly agreed to participate.  There was only one male teacher on our staff who declined the invitation.  I must say that it was not an easy month for me.  My beautiful wife was not particularly enthusiastic about receiving kisses from my manly Mo and my upper lip was itchy and uncomfortable for almost the entire month.  However, I managed to “suck it up” and “take it like a man” and power through the month.  In the end I raised around 250 Egyptian Pounds from my students (which is less than $50) and I had my upper lip shaved by a fellow Mo Bro in front of a small audience of elementary school students.  I wish I could have contributed more to the cause but my students were particularly apathetic about the entire event.  Hopefully, this year’s event has formed the foundation for an even better event next year.  I’m not in a rush to grow another Mo but who knows what the future will bring.

6 comments:

  1. Good for you for participating. When it is Movember HERE next year we can all see your stache in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie and Tom, this is so weird-- I googled "bike shop in Egypt" and somehow saw a picture of the 7x7x7 run with the maadi runners, and then when i closed the window your blog appeared! Fun stuff-- and nice stash!

    Melinda (of CAC and Maadi Runners)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, are you trying to hint at something :P

    It is crazy how you came across our blog Melinda. I hope you don't mind us having your picture up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am proud of you Tom for "sucking it up" and participating. It shows true character. I love your blog cause it is hard to get you on the phone when it is unplugged all the time!! No worries. I hope you enjoy the good news attached to my letter. I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Letter was supposed to be email. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Egypt is really doing a number on your sense of style Tom! All I can say is thank goodness we're not getting married in November! You must be off to Uganda soon, have a great time!

    ReplyDelete